It is not all sunshine and blue sky of course. Florida and the Sarasota Area have ugly parts that most of us don’t see. I don’t mean a run-down building or neighborhood but the very nasty world of sex trafficking.
But thankfully one local organization is dedicated to bringing light into this darkest of worlds.
TODAY, It is my pleasure to welcome Stacey Efaw of SelahFreedom.com, which is an organization dedicated to helping victims of the sex trafficking trade.
In today’s episode, you will learn …
- What caused her to transition from the Humane Society dealing with animals to the much tougher world of people and sex trafficking
- What Selah Freedom does and the crucial services they provide
- What most people don’t know about sex trafficking
- How you can get involved as a caring and concerned citizen
… and much much more!
Thank you so much for tuning in today.
Please remember to listen, learn and connect!
Additional Notes – Sex Trafficking Statistics:
- 1 in 10 children is sexually abused. At Selah Freedom, most survivors report being sexually abused as children
- Many of the survivors at Selah Freedom report sexual abuse beginning between 3-4 years old
- 2 million children are sold each year through sex trafficking
- Child sex trafficking has been reported in all 50 states
- Statistically, the average age of children running away and entering into sex trafficking is 15-17 years old. At Selah Freedom, many survivors report entering sex trafficking between the ages of 12-14 years old
- Within 48 hours of running away, 1 out of 3 children are solicited for sex
- Victims can be sold 15-40 times every 24 hours
- It takes 7-8 touch points with a victim before she is ready to step in to care
- Pornography gets more visitors each month than Netflix, Amazon, and Twitter combined
- 1 in 9 children receive online sexual solicitation
- Traffickers recruit children into sex trafficking through close relationships (“friending”)
- Traffickers have made up to $1.6 million per year off their victims
- Sex Trafficking is a $99 billion dollar industry
- Florida is in the top three states in the nation for sex trafficking
- Chicago is in the top five cities in the nation for sex trafficking